Friday, January 27, 2012

The Niger Delta Problem: Can It Be Resolved this Decade?


Huffington Post
26 January 2012

Atim Oton.

I was born in the Niger Delta, and lived in the Niger Delta in Nigeria until I came to the U.S. In some ways, I can be considered a child of big oil -- Mobil Oil -- to be specific. But I own no oil fields and none of my family works in the oil sector. My ancestors (grandfather and father) are from a village in oil country, in a place called Eket.

When I was growing up, Mobil Oil along with the Nigerian government, took one of my aunt's farm land in exchange for money.

+++

Goodluck Jonathan, the president of Nigeria, is a child of the Niger Delta. As a fellow child of the Niger Delta, I expect a solution to the Niger Delta from him. Why? He has no choice, between this and the current issue of bombings by the Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram, Nigeria will be safe to progress into its productive future. Simply, it's time for Jonathan to use his security budget and deal with this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment