21 January 2012
•Channel TV’s reporter among victims
A 24-hour curfew has been imposed in
Nigeria 's northern city of , after co-ordinated bomb attacks killed at least seven people. Police stations and the state police HQ were among the targets, and gunfire was heard across the second biggest city. The militant Islamist group Boko Haram, has claimed responsibility for the bombing. Kano Kano State government said the curfew would be in place in until further notice, Kano
following the attacks on Friday evening.
Police and military roadblocks were put up across the city within minutes of the blasts, local officials told Reuters. In a statement, police said "seven casualties have been confirmed from different locations of the attacks" in
, amid fears that the death toll could rise further. Kano
The statement said that four police stations around the city, the headquarters of the State Security Service, as well as passport and immigration offices were targeted. A doctor at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital earlier told the BBC that at least five dead bodies had been brought in.